Prep Time: 10-30 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¾ pkg of lard or vegetable shortening
2 cups water or milk
Damp Towel (optional)
Cast Iron Frying Pan
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt with a fork. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
2. Slowly pour about 3⁄4 or 375 ml (1 1⁄2 cups of the water or milk) into the flour mixture and mix thoroughly with a fork. If the dough is too dry, add more liquid.
3. Use hands to turn dough out onto a floured surface on the kitchen counter. Knead it gently until it feels firm and smooth: about 1” (2.5 cm) in thickness. Do not over knead the dough.
4. Optional Step: Cover with a warm damp towel and let sit for 20 minutes.
5. In a medium cast-iron frying pan, melt the lard or shortening over medium - medium high heat.
6. Cut out 12-18 evenly sized squares, circles or rectangles of dough with a knife, and then cut a small hole through the centre. Gently pat off any excess flour.
7. Carefully transfer one piece of dough at a time to the frying pan, and cook on each side until golden brown. Place a fork in the centre hole to flip dough.
8. Transfer each piece of cooked fry bread on to a plate covered with paper towel for draining. Serve hot. Spread with butter or strawberry jam and eat warm.
Tip: Sprinkle with sugar for a sweet treat.